Monday, August 1, 2011

6 degrees of separation?

No, I'm not talking about Kevin Bacon here. It's the idea of how everyone on earth can be connected to everyone else by merely 6 degrees of separation. I think here in the Twin Cities, it is more like 2.5, even for us transplants.

I met Janel and Mike at a party hosted by friends Brian and Julia. I overheard Mike's rather distinct narrative style as he described going househunting in what was then my neighborhood and he said - "the people were nice, but there was this ridiculously friendly cat" At that point, I entered the conversation with "Yup, that would be my cat, Zelda." She does outreach, apparently. Happily enough, Mike and Janel moved in to our neighborhood one street over, two blocks up. From bumping into the family at the playground, then doing playdates, eventually winning them over to our cooperative preschool - our families grew together. Xavier and Will had great fun at preschool then the subsequent lunch & playdates each wk meant that other than my own children, I think I've spent the most time with Will. Will's little brother Joseph was to be my godson; we did a Baptism of Intent. He didn't survive and I'd like to think he's their personal angel. Thomas, now 3, is my godson as well. Mike and Janel are both my friends and we've seen each other thru ups and downs before. Facing this though... scares the hell out of me. I don't know what to say. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to explain all this to my kids. I pray although with more cynicism than I used to.... but I still pray. I am amazed by this incredible family and Will's unbelievably strong will!

Back to the degrees of separation- I am blessed know a lot of fabulous people, who in turn know even more fabulous people. Just today, my friend Louise - who has spent time with the Newells on more than a few occasions - told me that her friend, the photographer Shelly Mossman, wanted to do more than her already generous donation of a $500 family photo shoot. She's also offering to do a wedding - 5 hrs of coverage, plus the files. This is normally $2800. And a lot of her time and talent. For a little guy who she doesn't even know....yet. Shelly will be at the event to show her photos and talk to prospective bidders. If you know someone who is tying the knot, please bring them to the event so they can take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

Be sure to look at the previous post re: auction items starting now, on gmail.

No comments:

Post a Comment